Monday, April 6, 2009

Sugar Saturday. And Sunday.

What a weekend! We had lots of parties to go to. First, on Saturday morning, Sophie and I went to Ellie's 2nd birthday party. Ellie and her big brother PJ are the kiddos I babysit for a couple mornings a week. They're a lot of fun to be around. I hope Sophie and Ellie are friends for life (like her Aunt Stef and me!), and it seems sometimes that PJ could be Sophie's first crush. She loves to giggle at everything he does, and if she falls down, she asks him to come pick her up. :) Ellie's party started with an Easter egg hunt in the playroom, then we moved upstairs for lunch, cookies/brownies/ice cream, and presents.

The darling newly-2-year-old Ellie!

Sweetness. The girls needed a little coaching in finding the eggs.PJ had the most eggs! He was pretty excited about his sister's party.

We had to leave Ellie's party early to go pick up Nathan and drive straight out to Newton for a wedding at Newton Bible Church. Natalie and Garrett's wedding was the first one I'd been to at that church since Nathan and I got married there almost 5 years ago! My sister was in the nursery with Ori and graciously offered to watch Sophie too so we could just enjoy the wedding ceremony. Thanks, Ju! Sophie seemed to really enjoy her experience at a wedding. Julie held her up to the window in the nursery so she could see Natalie in her dress. She thought she looked like Cinderella. :)

The reception had two tables loaded with beautiful desserts. They had everything imaginable: cupcakes, little cheesecakes, candies, chocolate-dipped pretzels, chocolate-covered marshmallows, mints, gigantic lollipops, etc. Sophie LOVED that. Well, ok, we all did! :) And we seriously brushed our teeth when we got home. I had to laugh during the reception because I was holding Sophie and she looked at me, smiled, and said, "I get married." Hold on, baby girl. Mommy and daddy still want you for a long time!!!

That's my girl! Just hanging out by the desserts! She had pink marshmallow allll over her face but you can't really tell here.Baby Ori was looking quite spiffy. I adore that boy!

Sophie didn't take a nap when we got home. Are you surprised? Instead, she ran around saying things like, "You want some shake, shake, shake?" and "You want a maggot cookie?" Someday she'll be able to say "magnet" correctly. :)

Saturday evening we were invited to another 2-year-old's party, but we didn't make it to that one. I went to dinner at PF Chang's with a group of friends to celebrate a grown-up birthday. :) Nathan was so sweet to stay home with Sophie.

THEN, on Sunday afternoon, we all went to El Dorado to celebrate at yet another 2-year-old's birthday party! This one was a Thomas-themed party for Isaac. Sophie and Isaac had matching Thomas shirts.This was SO COOL! All the kids there loved it. Nathan is trying to teach Sophie how to hold down the button to make the train go around the track. She didn't really get the hang of it (or maybe she just liked going for two seconds and then stopping?) but she still had fun.

It was a fun weekend, but I was more than ready to take a nap yesterday afternoon!
*********************************************************
Sticker Chart Update: Working great! Sophie has actually done really, really well the last several days. She has been waking up much happier, knows she will get a sticker, and knows when she's ready for a prize. She now has to get 5 stickers in order to get a prize. If she starts to act like she's going to do her thing (screaming/crying), I just say, "OK, but you'll have to go to your room to do that" and I've only had to take her there once in the past 4-5 days. She usually says, "I no cry in my room" and stops. That time I did have to take her, I thought she'd be in there for over an hour, but it was only five minutes or so before I heard her saying, "Come in, mama! Come in!" and she was fine. I think she understands she's not going to get warning after warning anymore; we have a plan and we're sticking to it. This dramatic improvement is such a blessing! I know things will get tough again, probably in the very near future, but this reprieve is great. :) Thanks to everyone who gave advice and encouraged and prayed for us! Please don't stop...

2 comments:

Jenae said...

I love Sophie's braids and Ori looks precious in his little matching plaid hat. I am so glad the sticker chart is working out. Caleb has been pushing the limit with some behavior issues lately, leading Kevin and I to read up on Dobson. The sticker chart sounds like a great idea for that age!

Julie said...

I really enjoyed watching Sophie in the nursery. She was a sweetheart! My favorite thing she said was when she wanted to play in the ladybug Exersaucer thing. I told her she was too big. She looked sad for a moment and then said,"I'm too big. I know. I'm so sad." And then she went back to play in the little kitchen area. It just made me smile at how grown-up she is getting and she was so sweet about not being able to play in the toy she wanted. Precious girl! I love her!