If I told you that I stay home with my girls and work from home and take a nap almost every day, you'd probably think that sounded great--even easy--right? Well, it's not. And I'm struggling.
I had postpartum depression after Talia was born. Medication does help. Sunshine helps. An understanding family helps. Friends help. But even though I'm getting out of the house more now and not crying every day, I'm still feeling down. Just plain tired.
Tired of financial difficulty. Tired of not being able to spend time with my husband (he gets home from work and then I go downstairs to work while he takes care of the girls). Tired of going to bed no earlier than 1:00 a.m. (I have to work late because I get interrupted with feedings and bedtime and meltdowns) and having to wake up to feed Talia, then getting up for good in the morning and dealing with Sophie's tears. She cries about everything from her Bible being on the floor to what to have for breakfast to the light being off in her room to not wanting to go to the bathroom to the TV being turned off. I love her so much, but her lack of...emotional maturity...is exhausting.
I'm tired of not having time to myself. I would like to work on my photography. I still haven't read the manual that came with my camera, and I just shoot in auto all the time. Nathan got me a newer version of Photoshop for my birthday a few months ago and I've hardly done anything with it. I never have devotions, something I feel guilty about, but it's just another thing on the To Do list...not the right attitude. I like blogging but haven't had much time for updates lately. Currently Talia is napping and Sophie is at my side asking me to be the cow mommy. I'm sort of playing with her and typing. ("Would you be the mommy cow again? Be the mommy cow again, mom! Be the mommy cow again!")
I am tired of my big flabby belly. But there is no time to exercise. The nicer weather is great; we did take a walk a couple days ago but it was too slow to be considered exercise. :) We don't have a double stroller, so Sophie was walking too. Talia wasn't a big fan of the wind, so I need to wait until things are calmer to walk again. I previously had visions of doing Wii Fit during the girls' naptime, but with the way my sleep at night is, I just take a nap instead. I NEED it. I'm not one of those lucky people who can function successfully on 6 hours of sleep. I'm starting to get too scared to nap though. One day Sophie will nap for 2 hours and then the next she won't sleep for 2 seconds, instead wreaking havoc on her room or even the bathroom, as was the case yesterday. I woke up to her wiping the counter with the hand towel. The counter and floor were covered in soap. "I was just cleaning, mama!" Her pants were off and her shirt was weird--arms still in the sleeves and the rest of the shirt stuck behind her head. When she does stay in her room for "Quiet Time", bad things can happen in there. She has pulled her curtain down, knocked a picture off the wall, and totally trashed the floor with toys and books.
I compare myself to other women who seem to have it all together...happy/obedient kids, clean house, a working budget and the willpower to stick to it, an amazing spiritual life, toned abs, a car that doesn't have its side mirrors super glued and taped on...and I feel like crap.
All done now. And I sort of feel better. I don't want any lectures. I'm not looking for sympathy. I really am grateful for so many blessings in my life. I love my family. My girls are healthy. My husband tells me I'm beautiful and he's proud of me. I'm thankful for my job and the ability to work from home. I wouldn't want to do anything that made me leave my girls. The schedule is just kinda rotten. I love our house. I'm happy my car gets me from Point A to Point B. We could be worse off financially. I just needed to write this. Gotta go get Talia; she's done napping. And Sophie is really, really wanting me to play. I can be the mommy pig now.
17 comments:
Sharla~
I sat here and read this and felt like I was reading my own life story. I wish you could see my messy house, hear my constantly crying 3 year old, see my dumpy looking outfits, look at my sad excuse for a quiet time, watch how many times I just flat out lose it. I am not saying either of us should stay where we are, but I am saying that you are not alone. I struggle with looking at other peoples lives/blogs and thinking like you...how come their life looks so good? We have to stop looking left and right and look towards Christ. He has the ability to meet all our needs and comfort us in a way no one or nothing can. Lean on Him Sharla (and I'm talking to myself as well). I am including my e-mail...I would love to hear from you when you have a spare moment!
krbattese@hotmail.com
Rachel
I hear ya, sister! I too have had those very same feelings (as I've shared with you before). Hang in there...I'll be praying for you! And if you ever need to vent to someone...call me. Chances are, I'm having those very same feelings. :)
oh Sharla, I know you said you didn't want sympathy, but I feel for you I do! I have felt like that plenty of times and I only have the one.
Seriously, if you want my help I will gladly help you out! Maybe Sophie and Lo could work on their "emotional maturity" together! We as mommies put WAY WAY WAY too much pressure on ourselves.
I also think we think God expects this 30-60minute "quiet time" from us, but He doesn't. Your season of life is chaotic and full of small children. A quick prayer here and there and maybe some Bible verses you have strategically placed around the house to ponder is all you have time for now, and I believe God is 100% ok with that. You are doing the best thing there is for God right now, raising you two beautiful, precious daughters in the Lord and God cherishes that! I got that little piece of advice from a book I recently read and it has revolutionized the way I view "quiet time" now. Hugs!!
I think every mom has experienced those same feelings at one point or another. You are not alone! I've never posted before but I really enjoy following your blog. I found it through a mutual friend of the Macs.
As a working mom (teacher) I struggle with a whole new set of issues. Mainly guilt. Guilt for having to send my sweet girl to a daycare and not spend as much time with her as I would like. I have looked into on-line teaching positions for years but it hasn't worked out for me yet. Strange question, but may I ask what "career" allows you to work from home? I live in the Wichita area and would love the opporunity to look into a "work-from-home" position.
Blessings to you and your family!
Lyndsey
adsander@cox.net
Sharla,
Inasmuch as my blog has been a healing ointment in my life, I so hope that your blog post continues to provide you relief, as you let it all out and cope with a tough season in your life. I can relate to you on a million levels--wouldn't it be nice to go get coffee (me water!) sometime?
We hadn't experienced money woes until I quit my really good job to stay home with Wilder. Wouldn't trade it for anything, but there are some days when it's like, "how's Wilder going to get shorts for this summer-he needs sandals too."
And my car is the biggest embarrassment on the block, if not all of Wichita, but, as you said, it gets me from point A to point B.
Oftentimes I pray for God's supernatural strength when I'm really tired. I'll pray that for ya, too.
xoxo
Sharla...
I. GET. IT... Thanks for being honest... I wish you would have known me when I was in college, with two kids and living in a trailer. I REALLY wish you could have seen it. You would know that I REALLY get it!!! Promise.
I love you so much, sister! Thanks for sharing this and don't ever feel like you are alone in those struggles. Now that we are home from the hospital and life is SO busy with 2 babies, I have really struggled with what quiet times should look like and when to have them. It was so much easier during crisis. Anyway, I hope to see you tomorrow. We have to hibernate for one more month. Love you!
Oh, and I forgot to tell you how beautiful you are. I always wish my hair could look like yours. :) And you are beautiful inside too. Love!!
Sometimes life just stinks. I feel just like you most days. I'm so tired because of my heart medicine that I also nap each day, but couldn't when Lili was born, had her nights and days mixed up, and Kat no longer napped. I am a bad mom who sits the girls in front of the tv (neither nap anymore) for rest time so I know their entertained and I can sleep. I'm glad you shared because most mothers have to feel this way (don't they?). Most days I don't feel like I've spent anytime with the girls and I feel quilty. There is always laundry, dishes, random messes, and bills. They play and I spend my day making sure they don't sit in front of the tv for too long and get snacks and drinks in between cleaning. I know you'll find you footing soon, but will keep you in my prayers for awhile. It was just a few weeks ago I did a post on being tired. Just tired of life, messes, and kids whinning. Things already look better. Sleep when you can and I'll be praying.
I. Love. You. thank you for writing this. the end.
Sharla,
I could have written your post. You are absolutely not alone. Every mom has similar struggles and No One really has it all together. I also have the added struggle of being a working mom with a full-time job, but my choice was made for me because I have to work to provide health insurance for my kids. No part-time job for me! I also had postpartum depression for a whole year after I had Sophie. Sometimes just the guilt of missing a whole year of her life can eat at me, but I have to remind myself that as long as we do the best with what situation we're given, we're doing the right thing. You will make it through. Mom's are made to be ferociously strong! (even if we don't feel like it) Hang in there.
I have been there. Some days I am there. Just know that appearances are deceiving sometimes and someone that LOOKS to have it all together might not! We ALL struggle in our own ways.....and mine has been brought forth these last few months too! *hugs* we will survive. (I keep repeating this to myself....)
Wow. I can so relate to this. (I need to add your blog to my google reader... I just clicked over from Julie's tonight and got caught up on your sweet family!) You are not alone in your struggles. One thing I've learned is that you can never compare yourself to others... b/c you never know for sure just what is going on in their life. (That doesn't mean I don't do it, still, but I try to remember that when I'm facing tons of mommy/wife guilt) I cried in bed last night. Just feeling so tired and stressed and overwhelmed with life. I made it a point to go to bed early (10 pm). Read for awhile... just wanting some alone time. Shut off the light at 10:30 (still early for me to go be going to bed) and of course... Gretchen starts crying. She's still getting up once during the night (sometimes twice) but never before 2 am or so. Except last night. Ended up fighting with hubby... crying... finally getting to fall asleep 2 hours after I originally wanted to. (12:30) I've struggled with postpartum before and honestly... am starting to feel that way again. Just overwhelmed with life and so, so irritable with those I love the most. (My Sophie has me at my wits end at times.) Oh, I could write more... but I will stop. You've made me feel better about my own feelings. I know that wasn't your intent, but you did. So, thanks. :)
this is so familiar ... but you are making it. you are. every hour, every day.
take care.
Oh Sharla. I know I am commenting long after you wrote this, and I hope you are feeling better.
You are SO not alone in all of those feelings. I SO understand the financial difficulties, the having no time for yourself, the not new in many many years car,... I wish I had some magical advice for you, but I don't. Just know that you are not alone. You are an amazing person, amazing mom, amazing friend.
Keep your chin up and... pray.
I can relate. I loved taking a nap when the kids. I would put by toddler in bed with me to watch a VCR of her favorite. She would sleep or watch but stay in the bed so I caould sleep. It worked well for me.
I love you, friend. Sorry this is so long after the fact. Just know that I think you are one of the most beautiful, caring mothers I've ever seen. For me, YOU are one of those women who has it together! I just hope I can be the kind of mom to my kids someday that I see you as. And I agree with Michele - you are doing God's work every single day with your family. Love you so much!
Post a Comment