Sunday, August 19, 2012

Gemma {4 months}

Before too much of this month slips away...

Gemma is 4 months old and we are still having quite the time! ;) We made it through colic, had a good 3ish weeks, and then got started correcting her torticollis, and she's fussy again! Once again, the chiropractor and pediatrician can't find it in their hearts to agree and make it easy on my poor confused brain. The chiropractor said she's teething. The pediatrician said "that's statistically not likely given her age" and that she's just in that stage where everything goes in her mouth and she drools nonstop. He diagnosed her as "high maintenance", which we're familiar with. (Sophie and Gemma are twins 5 years apart! It's crazy!) Her doctor said he is okay with letting her cry if she's choosing to just not be happy with the world. Mind you, she was screaming while he examined her, and when I asked him a question, he waited to answer until I had picked her up and the crying shut off! She is LOUD and it's nearly impossible to talk to someone when she cries. So, though HE might be okay with her crying...I'm not so much. It's mentally and physically exhausting. I put this on Facebook already, but Nathan made me this to cheer me up during the day:
At her 4-month checkup, Gemma weighed 16 pounds, 5 ounces (91st percentile) and was 25-1/4 inches (79th percentile). Big girl! The nurse who came in to give Gemma her shots liked her thighs, saying, "She's got some hams on her!"

We got the go-ahead to try cereal, so we've done oatmeal mixed with apple juice once a day for the last two days. (Hoping the apple juice will help her poop more often than once a week, but that's a whole other story.) Here are pics from today; she ate quite a bit!

Her hair is wild.
Pretty cute little mug!

GEMMA'S DISLIKES:
*the bouncy seat
*naps longer than about 40 minutes
*stopping at red lights

GEMMA'S LIKES:
*her hands
*her feet
*her reflection

MOST-OFTEN-WORN COLOR:
*purple

WAYS TO BUY A FEW MINUTES:
*exersaucer
*play mat
*Bumbo
*a magazine in her hands

NECESSITIES:
*burp cloths
*binkies
*patience
*ability to lactate

THE GUESSING GAME:
When Gemma cries, is she...
*tired?
*hungry? (goes anywhere from 2-5 hours between feedings during the day)
*having gum pain?
*having belly pain? (the pooping thing...the gas...)
*bored?
*overstimulated? (hi, Talia!)

She is screaming inconsolably at this very minute so I need to go help poor Daddy, but here are some pics that show her cutie pie smile. Thank the Lord we get to see this side of her at some point every day. :)



5 comments:

Melissa Jensen said...

Love the post!! Cute way to document:) I am thinking of you sweet momma!! Hollis struggles a LOT with gas and GI stuff. There is RX gas drops that really do help push out the gas, ask your doc about them. Sending hugs--I know it was hard on me to hear chele go through it with her kiddos, so bless you!

Stephen and Lacie said...

Oh, Sharla! I feel for you! It seems like Emmitt was SO high maintenance at the beginning, although nothing like Gemma from the sounds of it. He was certainly much more demanding that Jesstine EVER was! He also had trouble with the pooping thing. After he got on solids, the pooping got better and now we are teething and getting into everything (crawling) so it just is a vicious cycle! As they say though, this too shall pass....It is so hard to be down on a face like that even when they are screaming at you! Hugs and prayers that things will begin to run more smoothly without as many screams and tears! It did for little stretches of time with Emmitt!

BE Whitetree said...

My heart goes to you, nothing worse than a crying/screaming (we dealt with that with on minor level with Theo & Acid Reflux and Kylie would just scream all the time until we found out shes Lactose Intolerent...)that you cant comfort or make it better. I had to laugh about the Dr. saying to just let cry. Praying for a peaceful day in your house.

Michele said...

I really could just cry for you. I had two high maintenance babies back to back. I love them, but nothing on this earth would make me want to relive those days. Of course I am sure you are not near as dramatic as I am about it. I know we so badly want there to be a reason they are crying b/c then we could do something about it...but I feel like most of the time it is just plain nothing other than they demand your attention and when you have other kids to care for too it just ain't goin' to happen. Hang in there, I would just tell myself "this time next year..." over and over and over and now 19m later it isn't SO bad. ;) Probably not the encouragement you were looking for, but I hated being patronized b/c I thought YOU JUST DON'T GET IT! Well, I do get and you got me through Lo's colic with just being real with me. :) Hang in there!

Jennifer said...

I'm so sorry Gemma is having a hard time. Sometimes I think doctors just don't get it. Has anyone mentioned Karo syrup for her tummy? When Kate was having all of her liver/tummy issues, her GI specialist at Children's Mercy told us to try it. It works like a natural laxative for kiddos too young for medicine laxatives. We would put 2-3 ounces of dark karo syrup (it has to be dark)in a bottle and only add enough water to make it thin enough to swallow, maybe 1 ounce or less. It stays thicker than milk, but if you use too much water, it won't work. It tastes really sweet, so they usually love it. We would use it a couple of times a week, whenever she seemed like she was uncomfortable.