Thursday, July 10, 2008

Nastea

Nathan loves iced tea (unsweetened). When he orders it at a restaurant, he definitely gets his money's worth. In the summer he buys gallon jugs of tea to keep in the fridge. He has been enjoying his most recent gallon until tonight. From the kitchen I hear, "Sharla? Will you come here? I'm kind of grossed out." I head his direction with Sophie in tow, wondering what in the world I'm supposed to do about something that has him grossed out. He's the guy, so...this must be pretty bad.

"I was pouring my tea and I heard this 'glub, glub' sound." I see him holding the lid of the tea jug, staring at the inside of it intently. I approach nervously.
People, it's gross. We don't know what it is, but I choose to be optimistic for once and am sticking with, "Oh, that must be... congealed tea." What do you think?

Here's the close up. Nathan was examining it with a toothpick. He told me that the outside is squishy and the center part is firmer...like an eyeball. A fish eyeball. Yep, Nathan is confident that there was a fish eyeball in his tea.

"We're going to be rich!" he said.

(He won't sue Red Diamond Tea, but thinks they will assume he's going to, and just hand over a bunch of money.)

"Who's going to confirm that's an eyeball?"I ask.

"An eye specialist. You can take it to Dr. Arensberg on Monday!" he says excitedly.

I'm glad I have an eye appointment so conveniently scheduled for when a fish eye plops into my husband's glass of iced tea. And I wouldn't be surprised if he really does make me take it along. He had it in the freezer for a while but it is currently at his brother's house for his inspection and verdict. So the matter is certainly not resolved or forgotten. Any thoughts on what it is, besides a fish eye? I wish the pic showed it better. Can tea congeal???

2 comments:

Julie said...

Disgusting!! Ian thinks it might be an egg of some kind because they have harder middles. Pretty gross! I will also have a gross post coming one of these days, but yours probably tops mine. :-)

Ravan said...

That is so gross, but it doesn't surprise me that Nathan immediately jumped to the conclusion of it being an eye.