And now at 22-1/2 months...

She can be impossibly sweet and polite. There are moments that bring tears because she is so precious. But, we are also battling tantrums/screaming/defiance. "Normal" I know, but that doesn't automatically mean parents know how to handle it. I don't have anyone to compare her to, but she's pretty challenging! Anyway, I've started consulting some other mama friends and also checking out some books to try to get some ideas.
She actually just pointed to the words and said stuff about Christopher Robin.Sophie consistently has crying/screaming fits upon first waking up in the morning and before/after naps. Something with going to sleep and waking up without a binkie? Not sleeping as much as she used to? Whatever the problem, that's the pattern. It's not even that she asked for something and got told no. We've tried many different tactics in dealing with this.
One of my friends, a fellow ex-teacher, suggested a sticker chart so I made one. I refer to it as her "Wake Up Happy" Chart. Three stickers=prize. Well, she did earn a prize a few days after starting this. She very happily picked out a plastic Easter cup and a wind-up bunny...then started doing her screaming thing a few minutes after that. I was FLOORED. Did not anticipate her earning a prize and then proceeding to throw a fit. She got the reward AND got to have a tantrum. I really think she's smarter than me. :( I'm going to try it one more round and see if it happens again. If it does, that chart is going in the t-r-a-s-h.

8 comments:
That close up of her face is such a great shot!
And I love her reading the terrible twos book. haha!
Hi, you don't know me but I found your blog on a friends blog (Laura Moffat). I have a 2 year old daughter and it's so funny how we have had so many of the same challenges! The pacifier, resisting potty training, waking up with tantrums, I feel like I'm reading my own blog! I don't have any great advice, but my daughter started growing out of the tantrum thing after a few months. Incredibly frustrating though. Your daughter is ADORABLE by the way. I hope this isn't weird, I just couldn't get over the similarities.
Lindsay
She is such a cutie pie! I will be calling you for advice when Kate hits the "terrible twos". She already throws fits, so...yikes! Sophie is so blessed to have you as her mommy. Hang in there!
Shar, the thing is, I know how patient of a person you are. I can't even imagine how I'll deal w/ our future child when he/she hits the "terrible two's". You're setting a great example for me.
Hey Sharla, well I don't have kids of my own but I work with 18 kids that aren't mine during the day. I have found that Love and Logic works really well for my kids. I like it because it just makes sense and it is easy to do once you figure out some of the easy practices. If you go to their website you can read tips and you can also sign up for e-mails to be sent to you. Hope that helps :).
Sophie's Hair! Awww!!!
You can do a grid-like thing with pics using bighugelabs.com...:-)
Children are always smarter than we give them credit for! Stickers worked great for my Sophie and potty training. Aiden didn't want them... all children are different. You also have to remember that these things go in phases. They don't always last too long. Our kids have difficult phases and then good ones. (It's great when they're on the good phases at the same time!) Those tough times will be relatively "short" even if it doesn't seem like it now. Hang in there! Sometimes there isn't a magic trick that will help. Sometimes, you just have to be patient and wait...
My daughter used to wake up from naps (a good long nap, even) and cry for at least an hour EVERY day. Some days she'd even cry until daddy came home. Now it's much less often, since she's turned 3. But we still have days where for no reason, we have an hour of unconsolable crying. So I empathize completely. If you find out a secret cure. Let us know. :)
Post a Comment